How Adding Plants to Your Diet Can Give You Feel Good Powers
Do you love uncovering smart ways to improve your personal wellness routine and work hard to keep up with healthy trends? If so, chances are you know that March was National Nutrition Month, which inspired us to drink more water, reach for lots of fruits and veggies and stick with it.
We talked with the team at national juice company Suja Juice to get some pointers on how to include good nutrients in our daily drinks, along with some premade beverages you should look for when you need to grab something on the go.
5 Plants To Add to Your Daily Smoothie Now
- Blueberries: “Blueberries possess one of the highest antioxidant contents of any fruit or vegetable,” Mia Syn MS, RD, a registered dietitian who frequently consults with Suja’s nutrition team, confirms. “Their antioxidants neutralize free radicals in the body; this means they may be able to protect against oxidative damage and inflammation cause by exercise.”
- Turmeric: “Turmeric is a staple in Indian diets and used in the Indian Ayurvedic medicinal tradition for its cleansing and purifying properties,” Mia reminds.
- Kale: Kale is a cornerstone vegetable when it comes to drinking your greens, and for good reason. Mia says, “This leafy green is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables, rich in calcium, lutein, iron, beta-carotene and vitamins C and K.”
- Ginger: According to Mia, research suggests that ginger may help reduce pain and inflammation caused by exercise, aid in digestion and boost your immune system.
- Beets: Beets are a pretty color (vibrant foods are great for good health) and they’re super easy to blend into a smoothie. Even more, “Beets are high in immunity-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium, which are essential for healthy nerve and muscle function, along with manganese, which is important for your bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas.”
4 Grab and Go Drinks That’ll Give You Feel Good Powers
More of the grab and go type? Here are four drinks to look for—all of them have good for you nutrients that’ll give you a big boost.
- Kombucha: We love kombucha, especially Suja’s organic version. The team tells us that it has adaptogenic ingredients such as moringa, ashwaganda, and reishi, all of which are highly functional herbs known to help reduce stress, inflammation and fatigue. Also good to know: All of Suja’s kombuchas now feature immunity support through the use of inactivated cultures.
- Probiotic Vinegar Juice: The thought of drinking vinegar might make your mouth pucker up, but vinegar juices are a bona fide way to score an immunity boost. “Soak up the health benefits of apple cider and coconut vinegar with even more enhanced benefits of cold-press fruits, veggies and herbs as well as four billion live probiotics in every bottle,” the Suja team offers.
- Probiotic Water: Gut health is a buzzy topic, and a game-changer when it comes to how well you feel and function. Probiotic waters can be a light way to cleanse, as they’re created with organic fruits, veggies and some vegan probiotics. There are no hidden ingredients in these clean probiotic waters, says the Suja team. Hallelujah!
- Green Juice: When in doubt, go for the green. To get a dose of feel-good greenery, opt for a juice that boasts a blend of veggies; you’ll get heaps of essential vitamins that taste good without an excess of unnecessary sugar.