DIY Beauty: Try This Coconut-Banana Hair Mask For Coarse Hair
January 17, 2018
2 min read
Influencer Chelsea Williams, founder of ThatsChelsea.com, regularly teaches women how to live a more mindful lifestyle through a plant-based diet and nontoxic cosmetics. Her reputation for being authentic and relatable make her one of the lifestyle writers we can’t get enough of. Today, she’s sharing her DIY beauty expertise with a luscious hair mask you’ll want to try ASAP. Here’s her take.
If you have dry, coarse, 4C curls, then you know how hard it can be to maintain length. 4C hair has a reputation of being the driest and most sensitive of all the hair types. That’s why it can need an extra boost, and this DIY at-home mask can help. A coconut banana hair mask is the perfect solution for thirsty curls, especially during the harsh winter months.
Here’s What You Need
- 1 ripe organic banana
- 1 can bpa-free can of organic full fat coconut milk (I prefer the Natural Value brand)
- 1 tsp vegetable glycerin
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil (my favorite is Conscious Coconut)
- *optional – essential oil of your choice
Did you know that bananas strengthen your hair, which reduces split ends? Bananas also help to alleviate dry, itchy scalp and can eliminate dandruff. Coconut milk is full of good fat that helps nourish your hair, as well as well as B vitamins that can help improve the circulation in your scalp, which ultimately yields faster hair growth. Vegetable glycerin is a well-known humectant that helps the hair retain moisture. Coconut oil adds a healthy sheen to the hair.
1. In a bowl or high-speed blender, mix the banana, coconut milk and vegetable glycerin until smooth. Or, if preferred, pour off the liquid in the can of coconut milk and just use the “cream.”
2. Finger detangle your hair with the coconut oil prior to applying the mask.
2. Massage the mask into the hair from root to tip. It is really important to focus on those ends as those are the oldest parts of our hair.
3. Cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic bag and let sit for 30-45 minutes
4. Rinse and wash your hair as normal. Your hair will thank you!