How to Switch to Clean Beauty + Our Top 5 Clean Beauty Picks
When you’re perusing the beauty aisle (or store) for that perfect new moisturizer, it can be completely overwhelming to try and decipher lists of ingredients and marketing claims, let alone know if what you pick will actually work for you. And when you’re also trying to avoid potentially harmful chemicals in your beauty routine, making a final decision on purchasing a new product can take longer than brewing your own kombucha.
But it doesn’t have to be that hard, especially when you have a little guidance about where to start. We’ve made it easy to begin your clean beauty transition with just a few steps (and a few of our favorite recommendations so you can spend that decision-making time at yoga class instead). Because after all, no one should have to sacrifice health for beauty.
Keep reading for easy steps on how to switch to clean beauty.
How to Switch to Clean Beauty In a Few Easy Steps
Understand what’s most toxic in your personal skincare/makeup routine.
Each of us is different when it comes to what our skin loves and what our skin might react to. Understand what’s in your personal, daily routine (and what your skin might be sensitive to) by downloading the Think Dirty app. You can become your own beauty detective and root out the ingredients that have side effects you don’t want to risk.
Replace items as you run out.
There’s no need to rush home and throw out all your current products, especially if you just bought something brand new! Just replace it with a cleaner, greener option next time you need a refill. Start doing your research now, so that when you’re ready to replace, you know what you’re looking to try first.
Start here: deodorant, lip color/balm and body lotion.
If you’re starting the beauty kit overhaul slowly, we suggest ditching your conventional antiperspirant, lip color/balm and body lotion first. Here’s why.
- Antiperspirant: Aluminum compounds found in antiperspirants are suspected to bioaccumulate in the body, and they’ve been linked to endocrine disruption, among other things.
- Lip color/balm: Since you easily (accidentally!) ingest some of what goes on your lips and because many conventional lipsticks and synthetic colors can contain potentially harmful ingredients like lead and mineral oil, consider finding alternatives for these right away.
- Body lotion: It covers a lot of surface area, so it makes sense to swap it as soon as you can. Since our skin absorbs up to 60 percent of what we put on it, the not-so-nice ingredients you can find in conventional body lotion might be making their way into your bloodstream each time you go to moisturize.
Move on to products that you use on large surface areas.
Want to start your beauty detox ASAP but don’t know what to toss first? Start with personal care products that cover the most surface area of your body, like soap, face moisturizer, foundation and shampoo/conditioner. Then work up to replacing things like eye cream, nail polish or mascara.
Sample, sample, sample!
Many brands or online stores sell sample or travel-sized versions of their products, or clean skincare kits that allow you to try some of the best in green beauty without forking over tons of cash. This puts less strain on your wallet, and gives you the chance to try more products at once.
Our Top Five Clean Beauty Picks
1. Clean Essentials Kit: A perfect way to get started with a few key swaps, the Clean Essentials Kit from clean beauty retailer Follain features trial sizes of four everyday, nontoxic skin essentials. From cleanser to hand soap, you’re covered—and they come in a beautiful, reusable travel pouch. Plus, Follain is offering WELL readers 50% off + free shipping on this Clean Essentials Kit. Now you have no excuse not to try it.
2. Follain Soap: More luxe than regular castile soap, Follain’s refillable hand and body soap is good for you and the environment (none of that potentially hazardous triclosan here). It lathers gently, making it safe for kids as well as adults, and it comes in two fresh scents: lavender and lemongrass.
3. Innersense Color Awakening Hairbath and Hydrating Cream Conditioner: Effective doesn’t even begin to describe the Innersense haircare line. Sometimes, switching to cleaner shampoo can leave you missing that sudsy lather, but Innersense’s Color Awakening Hairbath is beautifully efficacious without being drying or stripping for dry or color-treated hair. Combine it with the Hydrating Cream Conditioner, which leaves hair feeling silky, soft and strengthened, and this duo will have you forgetting all about conventional haircare.
4. Piperwai Activated Charcoal Deodorant Stick: Another sought-after, beloved product in the clean beauty realm is this activated charcoal deodorant. It’s made without harmful ingredients like parabens, aluminum and synthetic fragrances. With a charcoal base and a creamy texture, it forms an invisible, absorbent, pH-balanced shield on your underarms that neutralizes odor and protects your clothes from sweat. Win-win.
5. Pai BioRegenerate Rosehip Oil: Rosehip oil is one of clean beauty’s best-kept secrets—it works wonders for all skin types, including extremely sensitive or blemish-prone skin, and skin with scarring or hyperpigmentation. That’s because it contains high concentrations of essential nutrients that feed the skin, fueling its crucial overnight regeneration processes, all without irritation. Plus, it sinks into skin rapidly, leaving a silky-not-greasy finish behind.
Don’t forget: You can get 50% off on Follain’s Clean Essentials Kit, just for WELL Insiders readers. Plus, use code “wellclean” for free shipping on any order at follain.com. This post was written in partnership with Follain.